These boots are made for walking

It was with a heavy heart that I began my solo journey on the 4 day hike to Machu Picchu.   Kel had been sick for most of the week and was unable to join me on the trek.  She got to spend some more time in Cusco and Aguas Calientes.  Luckily 2 other members weren't doing the hike so she got to spend time with those guys. 

So off I began on what would be,  for me, the crowning moment of the holiday.  We had spoken to a few different people along our holiday who had completed the trail and some coped well whilst others struggled a little.

The first day was a pretty light day,  a few inclines and declines but not too much stress.  

Day 2 was labled by everyone as the killer day.   Luckily for me I found it ok.   I just powered ahead of the group.   I felt so determined.   I felt like I had the energy of two people and that I was doing this not only for myself but for Kel as well.   The steps on the way up to dead woman's pass were very steep.   You could see the top of the mountain in the distance but it seemed a long way away.   I reached the top,  4200m above sea level,  and raised my arms in joy.   I got to sit and take in the spectacular views whilst waiting for my fellow group members to finish this part of the trek.   The downhill part was pretty intense as well as the stairs are so very steep and slippery. 

Day 3 was a long one and pretty uneventful as we were covered in thick fog most of the way.   We did get to visit a small Incan ruin which our guide Cheo explained in depth to us which was amazing.

We reached camp and rested up in readiness for a 3:30am start to reach Sun Gate and Machu Picchu.

I'd like to touch on the absolutely amazing job that the porters do.  We had about 17 of these guys looking after us.   The carry up to 25kg each on their back.   This ranges from our duffel bags to gas bottles and cooking equipment. Whilst we struggle with the huge inclines and slippery steps,  these guys absolutely fly past you and you NEVER see them slip over. We were so thankful that we had such a great group of guys to share our experience with and we will never forget them.

All smiles as we are about to begin

This bloke has obviously graduated from the Cam Smith School of Bush Mechanics


The true champs of the trek, the porters

Mid morning day 2, I believe the term is "knackered" 

At the top of dead womans pass





They even baked us a cake!
SHARE
    Blogger Comment

1 comments:

  1. Hi Joe (and Kel),
    Paul gave me the link to your blog and I've had a fabulous time reading your entries and looking at your photos. I'm so jealous of your trip, I have always wanted to go to South America...in particular Machu Picchu and it sounds as if it is as truly beautiful as I believe it to be. What an incredible trip to take with one another and what amazing memories you will have of your entire trip (although I could have done without seeing the cooked guinea pig :) Happy and safe travels for the remainder of your trip. Kind Regards Vonda Mathers

    ReplyDelete